PRINTER FRIENDLY: Chicken Noodle Soup
Serve with some warm bread for a great fall dinner.
Prep 20 min
Ready In 90 min
Yield 4–6 Servings
1. In a heavy bottomed pan over med-high heat the canola oil to shimmer. Season the skin side of the thighs with kosher salt & pepper and place in pot skin side down. Wait for the skin to brown (6-8 minutes) and remove the thighs from the pan. Set aside.
2. Drain all but two tablespoons of oil from the bottom of the same pan
and leave it on medium heat. Add your onions, carrots, & celery. Cook over medium heat to sweat the veggies until the onions become translucent.
Add the garlic and cook for two minutes more.
3. Add the white wine and deglaze the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat to high and cook until the wine has been reduced by 50%. The pungent odor of the alcohol in the wine should disappear by this time. Add the chicken stock to the pot, and the herb bundle. Return the thighs, minus the skins to the pot. Heat over high heat to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Remove the chicken thighs from the pot and allow to cool. Shred the meat from the bones and return the meat to the pot. Continue to simmer for another 30 minutes then remove the herb bundle and discard.
5. In the meantime boil some water and cook your favorite soup noodle separately from the pot of soup. If you try to cook the noodles in the soup you will end up with stew – all the broth will be in the noodles. Once drained cool the noodles in cold water and hold for serving.
6. To serve add a portion of the noodles to each serving bowl and ladle the soup into the bowls. Enjoy!